Friday, August 15, 2008

The Unusual Game

I know this blog has been about as busy as a bar in the Vatican but I myself have been fully occupied. The thesis is coming along, and I have been using a new (for me) diagnostic tool for writing. I take the first sentence from each paragraph in the text and create a new document from them. Then read them through and see how it develops. It seems to really help as the logic of the first sentence (the 'topic sentence') should reflect the whole paragraph. As well there should be a development from one topic sentence to the next. This was not the case when I first did this, but it is now developing to be so.
Anyway, that was about the most interesting thing that happened to me this week. Today I have not got so much done, with family commitments but the wekend is always wide open (ahh....the life a doctoral student).
I just listened to the fourth episode of a very interesting doucmentary on role playing game culture in Sweden (specifically Stockholm). If you can understand Swedish, or want to just look at the pictures I recomend Den Allvarliga Leken, online for the next 30 days-
(More recommended media for the week will be added to this blog later today)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea, Jim! Next time I teach academic writing, I will use this trick!