Tuesday, December 23, 2008

TechGnosis and Symmetry


In talking about Erik Davis, one can't help but talk of hybrids, things crashing into each other and having mutant children, millennial mixes of the ancient and the modern, often quite fringe but distinctly new. Davis floats in a very twenty-first century subcultural style, a mèlange of futurism and primitivism, call it cybermysticism or as Davis does "techgnosis".
Mission by Anais Lunet, Alexandre Bailly
Look at this mission also on Check-in Architecture website http://www.checkinarchitecture.com/mission/59 or on Google Earth http://www.checkinarchitecture.com


Here's an incident of the coincidental. Leaving my office on Friday for the Christmas break I tuned to my rather packed bookshelves to choose a book to read. I wanted to read one from the backlog that I have been meaning to read for a while but work (thesis) has prevented me from doing so. I grabbed Erik Davis' TechGnosis: Myth, Magic, and Mysticism in the Age of Information, which has literally been on my shelf for over a year on a never ending revolving loan from the library. I started reading it yesterday and to say I am enjoying it is an understatement. Then, a magazine arrived in the mail today, Arthur is its name. It comes from San Francisco and it is very 'groovy'. I have been reading Arthur online, from the blog and website for a long while. I ordered a paper copy two weeks ago maybe (things move slowly in San Fran??) but I was nonetheless so glad to see it today. And whose name is on the front cover, you guessed it, Erik Davis: Trance Planet: The Analog Life, Arthur issue 31

No comments: